Tuesday 23 October 2012

Coping Mechanism






Everyone has their own coping mechanism in bad situations and I think it's both sad and good to learn about them at the same time. 

The fact that anyone needs a way to cope, that their life is that sad that they can't just go about their normal ways, now that is sad... And sometimes the way they cope is heartbreaking as well... But that they have found a way to deal with it that helps them, I guess that's nice! 

Imagination can save a life, and in many cases it has. 
You often hear of people that were raped or tortured that they say they left their body, left their mind.. and just went somewhere safe until it was over. It's quite amazing how the human mind can save you from pain by just thinking extra hard for a while.








The reason I am writing this now is because I randomly remembered that I used to do this when I was a child and didn't know how to cope with life. I would simply not be in that life until I had something to occupy myself with. So I would not have to think or worry, I could just leave until I was too busy to sit down and think a bout stuff. 

I have never ever considered my childhood to be a bad one, and I never will... Because I had a wonderful family there with me and I had many good friends through the years. I never went hungry and I always knew I was safe with my mother and sister and the three of us did just fine. 

But this story I am about to write clearly shows that my mind as a child wanted it to be different. 

I had a lot of troubles going to school, and was pretty much a huge tantrum in a tiny body! All the days I did not go to school really upset my mother, and I felt guilty for not doing what I was meant to do, as all kids do... Go to school ain't that difficult is it? Well it was for me! 

So those days when I stayed home alone I had A LOT of time to think... something that was awful. So i went into a different world, I was usually some kind of animal... I've all ways admired animals so that's not really too weird, but I would all ways be a baby animal, and there would be a mother and a father animal as well! As in most kids stories! 

What I have now realized tho is the symbolism in what the stories was about... 
I, as the baby animal would get into trouble... and the mother animal would be upset and try to help... and then the big strong father animal would come fix everything! And we would live happily ever after.... 
And I went through scenarios like these in my mind close to every day for many years...  this was my escape from dealing with not being good enough and not being able to do things right.







Hm...

A small child might have more insight to life then we sometimes realize....





2 comments: